Friday, July 16, 2010

about me?

i know. i hardly ever write a post solely dedicated to me and what i am doing. and there is good reason for that-- i think jordan and the girls are way more interesting to write and read about:) but i felt it necessary to inform you all of my goings on this time in an effort to show you why this blog is so neglected. i feel my reasons are good, and excusable, but still. some people may be wondering....

as most of you know i am currently in the byu special education program, with an emphasis in teaching students with mild/moderate disabilities. as much as i miss being away from home, i have really loved the program and have made some life-long friends throughout my experience. however, as it is the summer before i graduate, my fellow students and i are undergoing the rigorous regiment that is "summer practicum." in this practicum, we test students to find their ability levels, place them in groups according to those levels, and begin teaching those groups. for the last 5 weeks, and for the next 2 still to come, my schedule has been as follows:
5:30 wake up and shower
6-6:30 girls wake up--feed them, get them clothed
7:30 drop girls off at my sisters and drive to school
7:45-8:30 prepare for the day
8:30-11:45 teach my group of 7 students (who i love!)
11:45-1:00 meet with mentor teacher and prepare for the next day
1:00 pick up girls
3:00 jordan gets home
and on mon/wed 3:30-7:00 go to special ed law class
now, this was totally overwhelming at the start. not to mention, in the first few weeks of practicum, i was called to teach relief society (which i also love!). i kind of had that feeling of being spread so thin that i was just doing the bare minimum of everything and not really excelling in anything; teacher, r.s. teacher, mom, wife, house-keeper, visiting teacher...etc. know the feeling ladies?

but, about a week and a half into practicum i realized some changes would have to be made to make it all work. so, instead of using my time at school in the morning to prepare for the day of, i now have a system where i can use that time to prepare for the next day--leaving me free to go home at 1 with everything for the next day done. that has helped a ton! although i still feel a little behind in everything, i do feel like i am making some headway. all i have to say is i am grateful for an awesome family, and the power of prayer. they have helped me through so much!

in the fall, i will be student teaching at amelia earhart elementary in provo, and i am so excited. i am excited to continue practicing teaching, but probably more so to graduate and be a full-time mom again to my girls. i have missed them so much through all of this! anyway, those are the fun and exciting things happening in my life...in case you were wondering. also, does anyone feel like writing a research paper about "no child left behind"? let me know...

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow! Unfortunately it probably won't ever get any less busy just fyi. Maybe some days but most of the time, we are running like crazy! Hang in there and good for you finishing school! You are amazing!

Jordan and Crystal said...

you are a busy lady! so fun to be teaching! So nice your sister can watch the kids!

Kiersten said...

It was good to hear about you. I've been wondering where you were in school. Congratulations on your last semester! And in such an awesome major, too. You're pretty amazing to be able to balance all of that like you do!

Mary said...

Wow. Your life makes me feel incredibly lazy. You are one awesome woman!

Heidi said...

It is all worth it!! Those students you are teaching now are so lucky to have you I know it! Good luck with it all...and I don't envy your NCLB research paper. By the way you and your family are so adorable.

Kathleen said...

my head would have exploded by now... keep up the awesome effort, mom is proud of you!

Emlyn said...

EW. Sounds like chocolate pudding spread across too much ham (let me know if you need to know where that line's from). Hope your paper is done and turned in!

Darla said...

whew (is that even a word?)! So impressed, Mace! And SOO nice that Linds is living there now to help out. Woo hoo!

Holly & Matthew Blanchard said...

WOW!!! GREAT JOB GIRL! WE are so impressed. I tip my hat to you. :) Good luck! :)

Kazzy said...

The full-time mom gig is the best, I agree. But what a terrific accomplishment for you to have your degree. I was home for 18 years raising my boys, and I loved every single minute of it. Now that I am working again I feel blessed that I could jump right in because I had worked hard earlier. This will be a great blessing to you and your family. Not to mention the example you have now set for your daughters.

Tashina said...

Um, how did I not know you were majoring in SPED??? My emphasis was in severe disabilities. Trust me, I know how rigorous sped programs are. Way to go and with two bebes, AMAZING! Hang in there, it will be over before you know it